Traveling in Alaska?

If I could go anywhere in the world I would want to go to Alaska. Maybe not during the winter with freezing weather because Alaska but maybe during the Summer when it’s warmer. I think Alaska is beautiful and full of nature. It’s one of the least populated states so it’s not only large but also empty. If I could go anywhere I would want to drive to Alaska which is around 60 hours one way. Then I would like to spend a few months traveling around Alaska visiting various National Parks while hiking and camping.

I would want to travel around the national parks in Alaska because they are some of the biggest and most beautiful. Within Alaska, there are eight national parks, including the top four largest National parks. Something that bothers me about living in Central Illinois is that everything around us is very flat and boring. The cornfields and soybeans are nice to look at for like 5 minutes but we don’t have any large mountain ranges or lakes or anything else exciting. 

I also feel like Alaska is overlooked (despite its huge size) because it’s separated from the rest of the states in the U.S. Before going to Alaska I would want to learn how to fish and kayak since those are things you can do in Alaska but not really in Illinois. 

If I were to make this a reality, then I would probably have to save up a few thousand dollars (which means I would need to get a job). I would probably need 5,000+ dollars and buy a car or van (since Alaska is very cold it would need to be a reliable car. There are also mini camping trailers that would be good for sleeping in (however they’re also a couple thousand). I would probably leave Illinois in May and then spend one week driving to Alaska. Then May-September driving around Alaska. 

However, I don’t think I could do this trip alone and definitely not when I’m in my teens. This is something I would like to do later in my life maybe when I finish college. Also with global warming the landscape in Alaska is constantly changing and it may not be there in the future. Hopefully, this trip is not just a dream but something I can actually accomplish. 

P.S. I know there are formatting issues on this post but I don't know how to fix it. If anyone knows how please let me know!


National Parks in Alaska

BERING LAND BRIDGE NATIONAL PRESERVE

DENALI NATIONAL PARK & PRESERVE

GATES OF THE ARCTIC NATIONAL PARK & PRESERVE

KATMAI NATIONAL PARK & PRESERVE

KENAI FJORDS NATIONAL PARK

KOBUK VALLEY NATIONAL PARK

SITKA NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK

WRANGELL-ST. ELIAS NATIONAL PARK & PRESERVE

Comments

  1. My initial thoughts before reading this was you're crazy!! After reading this, I understand why you'd want to visit Alaska, but what confuses me, is why you'd want to drive 60 HOURS???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always really liked Alaska and places will similar vibes, like Iceland. I feel like the price of traveling to those places and real estate there will probably sky rocket as the Earth warms up, so, if I get really rich soon enough, I'm going to buy up as much of that land as I can, surround it with armed guards, then either lease my land for an over-inflated cost or, if our economy has entirely collapsed, lease it for some kind of food payment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought that Alaska was boring for being basically all nature and being separate from everyone else, but I guess that could be nice, it's kind of like one giant National Park. I think that part is definitely nice, but I'd wonder if I could really handle such levels of isolation even on a travelling trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg Anna this is such a bizarre place to want to go!! But after reading your essay I completely understand why you would want to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom has told me all about Alaska, since she worked on a salmon boat in Alaskan during the summer months when she was around our age. I also watched a documentary on alaska's national parks. It sounds like an amazing place to visit (during the summer)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I like spoilers...

Waving on the Road

How do you say it?