Waving on the Road


As a regular CU-MTD bus rider there are a lot of advantages and disadvantages (mostly that UofI students are absolutely clueless about everything). However, as a bus-rider, there is one really cool thing that I’ve noticed. When two bus drivers are driving past each other they usually wave to each other. If one bus driver is going to the Illinois Union and another bus is coming from the Illinois Union, then they will wave to each other (I once saw three bus drivers wave at each other simultaneous which was particularly amazing). They’re not communicating any important information about traffic, safety, or anything else “important”. Instead, they’re just saying hello; a nice little gesture. It’s something I noticed today on my way to school, although I’ve seen it several times before. I don’t think a lot of other people have observed this since people on the bus are usually on their phones, talking to their friends, or otherwise distracted. I feel like I’m seeing a secret or eavesdropping on a private conversation. Even though I’m intruding on something private, like this gesture should be contained between the two drivers, seeing it makes me happy.

For some reason, this simple wave always brightens my day. There is no necessity for two bus drivers to wave at each other but it’s just a nice thing to do. No matter how sh*tty my day was at school or how I’m feeling observing this wave always makes me feel better. Two coworkers are simply acknowledging each other out of mutual respect and kindness. It makes me think, “Hey, at least something positive came out of today”.

Often times when I see this gesture I wonder if they’re mandated to do this. If somewhere in the bus driver handbook it says that two bus drivers are required to wave when passing another bus. That this action is forced instead of voluntary. It would ruin this for me, if this was a forced expression. I think that would take away from the kindness (if that makes sense)? I could probably look online to see if this is mandated (in some MTD handbook) but 
I don’t want to. I want this gesture to stay wholesome to me.

“It’s the little things in life” is a phrase that applies here. It’s this little wave that I occasionally observe that brings me hope and joy. It’s such a small thing, insignificant to the overall makeup of my day/life. The wave probably lasts less than a second but for me it lasts a lot longer.

Comments

  1. Anna, this is a blessed post. I've also seen the bus drivers wave at each other and it really does brighten up my day. They wave like they know each other personally, like they understand each other the way only other bus drivers can. But I wish you'd never mentioned that maybe they're mandated to do this, because now I'll be forced to consider this every time I ride the MTD, so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As another MTD rider, I'm so glad that someone else notices this! Honestly, bus drivers are some of the most underappreciated people on Earth. One of my old regular bus drivers used to let this super creaky old dude off at a corner that wasn't an official bus stop, just because it was closer to where he worked. Also, a lot of my regular drivers will remember where I and the other regulars get off and remind us of any route changes around those stops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a regular MTD rider. Make sure to always thank the bus driver while leaving. It's always just good manners to thank the driver for safely getting you where you need to go. Showing gratitude usually results in the driver being happier in their strict daily commute, in the addition of you being happier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you said "I'm intruding on something private", I couldn't help but remember the reading passage on the PSAT where the main character felt like she was intruding the life of the author of the diary she was reading -- you wouldn't have taken the PSAT, but if any juniors are reading this they'd understand.
    If this action was forced, I wonder why it would be a rule. Maybe it actually does have something to do with bus driving and not being kind. But I'd like to think of this as an act of kindness. You should update us if you find that it is a rule in the handbook or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please stop discussing PSAT test material outside of school. The College Board can and will cancel your scores.

      Delete
  5. This is actually ridiculously insightful. Thank you, Anna. Also, the part where you talk about how you want this gesture to stay wholesome to you-- that hit hard. I can relate intensely. Not necessarily with this specific situation, but other things that have continuously made me happy. You need it to be wholesome, because it serves that purpose for you. It's one of life's little quirks, and if it was found out to be anything but, that would be devastating. I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing the wave would make me happy as well. It feels like humans lack to acknowledge the presence of each other, and are less involved in the small things around us. The wave, as well as you noticing it, says a lot about the importance of the small things. As we grow we forget about the "little things" that could make someones day. Something as small as saying "thank you, and have a good day" getting off the bus could brighten the bus drivers day. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't ride the MTD very often, but I have seen this gesture when I did ride and even when I don't. It brings me pleasure when people go out of their way to be kind regardless of the size of the gesture to one another. It certainly makes people feel good to feel noticed, even if it is by the size of a nod or wave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so interesting!! I ride the bus regularly during swim season and I never noticed this! Next time I ride I will make sure to pay more attention!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I like spoilers...

How do you say it?