I like spoilers...


Whenever I read a fictional book (a book I enjoy I read for fun and entertainment instead of … you know… school) I get really impatient. I get to the middle section of the book and then I get really antsy and skip to the end of the book. I read the last 10-20 pages and then I go back to where I was before. I know this might upset some reading-enthusiasts but whatever, I like doing this. It’s the same with TV shows. When I watch a movie or TV, I HATE the feeling of not knowing. Like if there’s going to be a plot twist in season 5 then I want to know in season 1. That means that once I start a show, I usually look up the ending on Wikipedia before I’m even done with the first episode.

I wish I could re(experience) watching/reading a book or movie for the first time. Like I would want to watch The Sixth Sense once knowing the twist and then another time without knowing the twist. Or with Seven, I would want to watch it once without knowing how it ends and then another time with the full spoiler ending. I know this is entirely possible. Like I could just watch something once and then just re-watch it. But even when I watch something the first time, I still want to know what’s going to happen before it does. I guess I wish I was able to have more self-restraint and read a book although way through without Googling the ending.

However, there have been times when I’ve watched/read a show, movie, or book that once I know the ending, I don’t care anymore. For example, I used to watch House (a TV show about a semi-sociopathic doctor who deals with unique diseases). But I got bored with it so instead of watching the whole show I just skipped to the last episode so I could know the ending (P.S. It wasn’t very good). I think this is especially true for mysteries. Once you know the “secret.” behind the mystery then everything else is kind of boring.

I don’t think I’ll stop reading/watching in advance. I think a book should be less about the ending and more about how you get to the ending (It’s the journey, not the destination).  Does anyone else do this? Or does anyone not like doing this? Let me know!

Comments

  1. Delete this Anna. The ending of House was perfect. You're embarrassing yourself by claiming otherwise. Ur right about the feeling of not knowing how something will end. If a show or movie is short enough I like to go into it blind but I don't think I've ever not Wikipedia'd the plot of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, this makes me so sad. I'm glad you enjoy your spoilers though. Do you want to know the endings of ver calm, boring movies/books too? Or do you just not like the suspense? I can understand not wanting to be stressed about the characters' lives until you reach the ending, and I feel like maybe this is a good way to still enjoy things without being worried about fictional characters 24/7 until you finish a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg I do this too, but usually for books I'm not sure if I'll like or not. I do the same with movies, too, if I want to see if it's worth watching. If it's a show or movie I end up really liking, it's not good because then I've spoiled everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it depends on the media. If it's a horror movie, tell me EVERYTHING. I need to know when every jump scare happens, what creatures pop out, who dies, etc. For horror story-based videogames in which there are multiple routes, I want to know every route so I'm prepared. I dread that palpable tension you get during a horror movie. It makes me feel like I'm about to have a heart attack and any moment. Truth be told, I wouldn't have to find spoilers if I wasn't peer pressured to watch the horror film in the first place. However, I stop there. I don't mind hearing spoilers but I don't go out of my way to find them. Unless, you decided to spoil the end of a movie I've been dying to watch like say Avengers: Endgame (and no, I've already watched it twice so you nobody can spoil it for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this a lot too, especially when it's a suspenseful book/movie. It's soo annoying when I don't know what's gonna happen, and the whole book just keeps leading up to it . Though sometimes when I do this I quit reading it all together, since I basically ruined it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this all the time. I like to think that I do it because I want to see if a book is worth reading by skipping through the pages, but in reality I just want to experience the good without having to deal with the bad, or in this case, boring. I don't think my reaction would change much if I didn't spoil myself anyways, because I don't react that much in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost never spoil the ending for myself, but I do rewatch/read mysteries after I find out the reveal, just to see where all the clues and stuff were. And, yeah, if a show gets boring I'll stop watching and google the endings. I did that for Orange is the New Black, which really dipped in quality after a couple seasons. And honestly, it's basically impossible to avoid spoilers for any popular media released over a month ago, let alone several years. Like nowadays it would be nearly impossible for someone to truly experience Harry Potter for the first time, just because of how famous it is. People who have barely heard of the series still know that Dumbledore dies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg I could never do that! Personally when I start reading a cool series or get hooked onto a new TV show, the buildup of suspense is part of the fun for me. I always get so sad when people spoil the ending for me because I miss out on that experience of anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that once I know how something goes, I don’t really think it's worth experiencing for myself? I specifically remember Grant spoiling the ending of an anime I was really into and I never watched it again. I also watch a ton of video game playthroughs, but I never end up getting the game because I’ve already seen all of the outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do the same, I am currently watching the past season of project runway and after the first episode I had already googled who won. Same things with sports matches I am constantly refreshing a google page of the score in case my live stream is running a few seconds behind. In a society with so much technology and where we can get information so fast we constantly want more info and we want it fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This doesn't completely ruin the experience in my opinion, as there are still small twists and turns that can be surprising, but my favorite part of a story is the ending. I do understand skipping to the end to find out whether or not it's a good ending, but skipping to the end to avoid the suspense of a story unfolding seems to ruin the point of reading/watching a story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is hella relatable. I love, love love-- before reading the beginning, peeking at the end. The story then takes an added dimension for me, with all the layers and context being revealed from that sneak peak I took. I remember reading the very end of the last Harry Potter book for example, before I even finished the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a guilty pleasure for me. Admittedly, I don't particularly enjoy surprises. I like reading pages and "accidentally" seeing what happens in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's such a struggle for me because like I'm so impatient for the ending, but also I don't want to spoil it for myself, so I always give myself like a little sneak peek but never more than that because like I want to be surprised by the twist. But I absolutely hate when someone else spoils something for me, that's the absolute worst.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Waving on the Road

How do you say it?