How do you say it?


My full name is Anna Kiri Ondrejckova. While my first name is pretty standard but last name is a bit different. Most people (like everyone) finds my last name unpronounceable. Even I can’t pronounce my last name correctly. My Dad is from the Czech Republic while my mom is from Slovakia (as I write in my autobiographical essay).  My last name comes from my dad although our last names are different. As a matter of fact, my family has three last names spread across five people. My brother and Dad have the last name, Ondrejcek while my sister and I have the last name “Ondrejckova”. My mom has a totally different last name of Ruziakova.

Like in the U.S., in the Czech Republic last names are based on ancestry. For example, if someone is named “John Smith” that probably means someone in his family name was a black smith or some kind of smith. The same thing is true of Czech names. The most common last name in the Czech Republic is Novák which is the same as Newman. It means someone who is new. Ondrejckova can also be tied back to ancestry.

My last name, Ondrejckova can be separated into three parts. Ondre-jck-ova. The Ondre part is another name. It’s a first name that is similar to Andre. The jck part is a diminutive. It’s like saying that something is little. So, with those first two parts my name means “little Andre”. If you translate my brother and father’s, then it means “little Andre”. The last part of my name is ova. The ova are a female suffix ending meant to indicate gender. That is why all female members of my family have an ova ending. Ova translates to “belonging to”, or “of”. Although it’s outdated and Handmaid’s-e the ova represents male possession over a woman. With all these things combined my last name translates to “Of Little Andre” or “Female of Little Andre”. That’s why the ova ending is a female suffix, it’s supposed to show possession between a father and his daughter or between a husband and a wife. Traditionally women in the Czech Republic would take the surname of their husbands but also add the ova, female suffix. So, for example Novák would become Novákova.

I like my last name and enjoy the heritage of it. However, I’m not able to even pronounce my last name correctly, neither is my mother. Ondrejková is pronounced by rolling the r, which I am unable to do. Also, Ondrejcek/Ondrejckova are Czech names with a distinctive Czech pronunciation. My mom is Slovak and can’t correctly pronounce my dad’s name either. That’s why she chose to keep her last name. While I like my name, I wish could pronounce it correctly. During role calls my last name will often/always be mispronounced. Although this used to bother, I think all the mispronunciations are kind of funny. I can’t even say my own last name, I shouldn’t except someone to be able to say it correctly.

Family Names
Ema Ondrejckova (sister)
Anna Ondrejckova (me)
Jan Ondrejcek (brother)
Michal Ondrejcek (father)
Zuzana Ruziakova (mother)

Comments

  1. I learned so much from this! It's interesting that there's parts to your last name and they all mean different things. Also, I've always just thought that last names are identical from father to child, so seeing that you and your father/brother have different suffix's is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Raneem's comment on how this blog was very informing. I find it very intriguing and cool that pretty much everyone has their own specialized name. I thought it was also cool you talked about how it used to bother you about how teachers would pronounce your name wrong but now it doesn't. Even though my last name is pronounceable and a lot "easier" than yours, I have not run into a teacher that will pronounce it correctly and so I was able to identify with this very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could totally relate to this. My entire life people have been pronouncing my name wrong (I've probably heard like 10 different variations of it by now), but it doesn't really bother me anymore. Also it was really interesting to read this and learn how Czech names work! It's so cool how the boys have a certain variation of a name while the girls get another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this really cool. I always want to try my best at pronouncing everyone's names correctly, but I definitely find names like yours to be challenging. While I can't relate to your personal struggle, I can somewhat understand why it would be inconvenient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have NOT been pronouncing you last name correctly... not even close. I really enjoyed reading about the pronunciation of your last name, the heritage that comes with it, and the literal meaning. Your post was very easy and interesting to read and I look forward to reading the rest of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so interesting to me how something so seemingly simple like a name has such an extensive and interesting backstory. My first blog post was about how much I despised my name and never came to terms w it. Reading your blog, which completely opposed mine in everything from tone to content, was quite scintillating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so interesting! I suppose I can relate in some ways. I suppose I don't even know how to pronounce my name correctly, and I don't believe I will ever learn. That being said, the pronunciation of my last name "Blank-EE" is often mispronounced as "Blank." I used to hate it when people did it, but now I do not take it too seriously and laugh along with everyone else.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I like spoilers...

Waving on the Road